Thursday, 5 April 2012

Review: Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward

lover reborn
Lover Reborn
Black Dagger Brotherhood #10
J.R.Ward
Publication date: 27th March 2012
My rating: 4 out of 5

I always consider the Black Dagger Brotherhood series as one of my all time favourite series, I pre-order them in advance, all the books sit in order on my “all time fav” shelf on my book case and I’ve re-read most of them more than once. Well except the last one Lover Unleashed oh, and the one before that Lover Mine. Ok, so when I actually look at it properly can it still be a favourite series if the last two books were a bit meh? Err maybe? I think if I’m looking forward to a release date and immediately toss aside the book I was reading when it arrives through my letterbox and more importantly, if it’s book number 10 in a series and I’m still following the series then it should qualify as a favourite series.

It helps too that Lover Reborn was actually really good. I did enjoy it, but the jury is still out on whether I would re-read it as many times as I’ve read say Zsadist’s book Lover Awakened or Rhevs book Lover Avenged. On reflection I think I wasn’t exactly sold on the No’One and Tohr get together. I liked No’One, I enjoyed seeing her reconnect with her daughter and face up to her horrific past. I also liked Tohr, his love for his lost shellan shone through and it broke my heart that he continued to mourn her. On one hand, I liked the fact they didn’t fall in insta-love, they both had real baggage and had to save each other. On the other hand, there were a few moments I wished they would hurry up and realise they were in love. I can’t make up my mind- did I like them together? or did I not? Err, I don’t know.

What I really enjoyed about Lover Reborn was the other little plot lines running throughout and they were plentiful. Blay and Qhuinn in particular was really good, I think it was fairly obvious that at long last they will get their own book and about time too. Layla, Xcor and the Band of Bastards, John Matthew and Xhex. All these additional little stories made up for the sometimes draggy parts of the main story. Overall it was pretty good and the series is firmly back on track.

My favourite quote was from Qhuinn (surprise surprise):

“When you were young, you thought time was a burden, something to be discharged as fast as possible so you could be grown-up. But it was such a bait-n-switch- when you were an adult, you came to realize that minutes and hours were the single most precious thing you had.
  No one got forever. And it was a fucking crime to waste what you were given.
  Enough, Qhuinn thought. Enough with the excuses, and the avoidance, and the trying to be someone, anyone else.
  Even if he got shanked, even if his precious little ego and his dumb-ass little heart got shattered into a million pieces, it was time to stop the bullshit.
  It was time to be a male.
  As Blay started to straighten, like a message had been received, Qhuinn thought, That’s right buddy.
  Our future has come.”

I loved this review from Uniquely Moi over at Goodreads, the last comment really made me laugh.

hot    vamp    adult

8 comments:

  1. LOVE That quote from Blay and I really liked this book. I was so stressed out in Unleashed that it was painful, so I really needed a good Brother book. I agree about the main plot dragging a bit, but I looked forward to the Qhuinn parts the most. I totally dig that guy! I really hope she writes a Blay/Qhuinn book. My re-reads in the series are also Z (he's my fav), V, Rehv, and now Tohr has taken a special place in my heart. :) Plus, my name will be on his back! HOLLA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to start reading this series forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for the Qhuay book. I just hope Ward commits to them as fully as she does her m/f couples!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really hope she does, there's a lot of Qhuay love going on right now. 2013 seems soooo far away.

      Delete
  4. Great review! I just downloaded this book onto my e-reader and I can hardly wait to start reading. Z's my favorite brother right now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Z will be forever my fav brother I think. I love a tortured hero.

      Delete
  5. I had wondered how Tohrment's story would spin out, and I wasn't disappointed. I love this series - the dialogue between the guys, the action, and the writing in general. The plot had some unexpected twists, and I can't wait to see where Lassiter, Layla, and Skor (sp.) fit in the upcoming novels. I listened to the audio version, read by the great Jim Frangione, and had to get the Kindle version, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.