Thursday, 31 May 2012

After Fifty review: The Siren by Tiffany Reisz

9780778313533_smp.indd

The Siren
The Original Sinners #1
Tiffany Reisz

The Siren by Tiffany Reisz is both uncomfortable reading and completely captivating. Honestly, I don’t know how that works but somehow it did.

The Siren isn’t like any other book I’ve read and isn’t remotely like the hot, sexy romantic escapist reads I usually go for. The characters are likeable but also completely unlikeable, the subject matter at times had me squirming (and not in a good way) and to top it all off it has the most unexpectedly unhappy but totally right ending ever. Nothing about The Siren is easy but I couldn’t put it down.

At the heart of the story is well known erotica writer Nora who is also a well paid dominatrix living with a very young, sweet and almost pet like “intern” Wesley. Keen to break through with a large publishing house Nora begins working with Zach Easton the “London Fog” his boss has ordered him to work with Nora to rewrite her latest book before he disappears off to pastures new. Zach is completely out of his comfort zone working with an erotica writer but finds himself captured like a fly in a spider’s web in both Nora’s book and in Nora personally, whilst in the background he’s still pining for his wife back in London that he’s recently separated from.

I loved how The Siren’s story lines cleverly mixed with the re-writing of Nora’s book, not just in her relationship with Wesley but in the scenes she deletes which detail the long term submissive relationship she had with Soren. It’s the Soren part that left me completely reeling, there are some really shocking parts (his “occupation” for starters, the agreed and accepted violence in their relationship and the “gift” he gives her) that could I think, come across as being deliberately sensational and shocking and definitely won’t appeal to everyone. Despite my initial shock I was so invested in the story I had to continue to read it. It did make me think about the notion of love and whether there is in fact a place for pain/violence in a relationship if both adults are consenting.

The Siren like Nora’s book isn’t a romance novel. It’s neither sexy nor titillating but as the story builds almost in layers I honestly couldn’t stop reading no matter how uncomfortable I felt. Would I read it again? No. Would I read anything by Tiffany Reisz again? Absolutely. I like a challenge and I like my books to be a bit “thinky” (kinky that makes you think!). Powerful, captivating and uncomfortable The Siren is like nothing else out there right now.

after fifty

After Fifty rating: 4.5 out of 5
Domineering male with issues Thumbs up
Sex scenes with a kink Thumbs upThumbs up

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.