Thursday, 28 June 2012

After Fifty review: The Theory of Attraction by Delphine Dryden

13646578
The Theory of Attraction
Delphine Dryden
Publication date: 9th July 2012

What woman hasn't at one point found a geeky genius a little bit sexy? The Theory of Attraction plays on this in a major way. Ivan is a genius rocket scientist who happens to be gorgeous, runs with this t-shirt off showing off his perfect abs but completely lacks any social skills. Neighbour Camilla has watched Ivan from her kitchen window and knows his routine inside and out.

Ivan asks for Camilla's help when he realises he is going to have to shmooze at parties to get the funding he needs to further his research, he wants her to teach him some social skills but their lessons take a very different and hot turn when they end up in bed together.

I loved the idea of the geeky sexy rocket scientist. It's very Supermanish, I look at Clark Kent with the glasses and think geek but when the glasses come off and his shirt is ripped open to reveal that hint of the "S" costume I always go a little bit weak at the knees. Anyway, Ivan definitely piqued my interest initially.

I changed my mind about Ivan a couple of times whilst reading The Theory of Attraction. Initially he started off as a genius who seemed so smart yet was clueless about the basic matter of how to talk and relate to other people. It seemed amusing at first that he needed pointers so that he didn't make a fool of himself in social situations but that underneath his genius but slightly awkward exterior when he got into the bedroom he turned into a hot dominant alpha male. Like Camilla I adored that switch in his behaviour he seemed self assured, in control and as hot as hell.

As Ivan's story unravelling my opinion of him changed, I don't know if I just read more into it that was intended but I started to feel really sorry for him and as a result his hotness kind of evaporated. His child genius status meant he whizzed through school and college and that by being so focused on his work he missed out on a lot of the normal stuff such as having a variety of friends or even a girlfriend. That explained why he lacked social skills and needed Camilla's help. I think the part that really struck me and if I'm honest made me a little uncomfortable was his need for routine. I just got the impression from his behaviour that he was more than a socially inept genius, that he might in fact have Asperger's Syndrome and I wasn't really sure how I felt about that. It was explained that it was his need for control that resulted in going down the Dom path which I understood even if he became very clinical in the bedroom, but for me the story moved away from the enjoyable hot sexy titilatingness at the start of the story and became a bit uncomfortable. For some strange reason the part that really stuck in my head was the bag he had packed for the impending hurricane. I couldn't get that bit out of my head and not in a good way.

The ending was a bit abrupt, again I wasn't sure if I was just reading too much into it but it didn't really feel like a happy ever after. Overall, mixed feelings with this one.

Thanks to Net galley for the opportunity to read and review The Theory of Attraction.

after fifty

After Fifty rating:

Hero with “issues” Thumbs up
Alpha male (well sometimes) Thumbs up
Genius rocket scientist Thumbs up

2 comments:

  1. Ooooooooo just request for review :) sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one to read. Not sure when I'll get to it, but the mad scientist appealed to me a bit. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.