Thursday, 5 July 2012

After Fifty review: About Last Night by Ruthie Knox

about last night
About Last Night
Ruthie Knox
Publication date: 11th June 2012

"Without the least bit of warning, he kissed her. Not a preamble sort of kiss, either. No, he really kissed her, one huge hand cupping the back of her neck, and his warm, firm lips knew exactly what they were doing, which was driving every single thought from her head. Only the man remained, the mouth, the sensations coursing through her, heating her up from the inside. Heating her up fast."

Oh. My. God. I think I've just found the PERFECT "After Fifty" book. It was so goooooood, About Last Night kept me up well past midnight, it was scorching hot and had the added bonus of making me cry like a baby towards the end. I LOVED it with a capital L.

Mary Catherine is an American living in London trying to escape her past. A true people watcher she gives little names to fellow train passengers and gets to recognise all their habits whilst travelling into work as an assistant curator at the Victoria and Albert museum. She sees "City" most days in his sharp suits with a copy of the Financial Times under his arm so she figures he's a banker thus the nickname "City". Cath has a soft spot for him, he is gorgeous after al,l but she thinks everything about him screams posh- posh accent, posh school, posh university which makes him soooooo not her type.

Cath ends up sloshed on a night out and wakes up the next morning in a strange bed. City's bed. He'd seen her trashed at the station and tried to help her out by getting her home, but she refused to tell him her name or address so he had to take her home, undress her (checking out her tattoo's of course) and puts her to bed. She recognises that City is a "nice guy" he leaves her a new toothbrush and a fresh towel in the bathroom and washes her clothes for her. When she gets up to go find him (and if possible slink out, facing the dreaded walk of shame of home ) she's sees a different side to City. He's actually a talented artist and in his faded jeans and paint-smeared t-shirt that highlights his broad shoulders Cath realises that he is hawt! They flirt, they kiss, and their chemistry is seriously off the scale. When he calls her Mary Catherine I honestly thought I was going to pass out from the swooning.

  "No trace of a hangover, then, Mary Catherine?" His voice. She had no defences against his voice. Low and hungry, that haughty accent such a delicious contrast to his naughty mouth.
  "Much better, thanks." He licked her collarbone, kissed behind her ear, nibbled her lower lip. She had to lean against the counter top, having gone knock-kneed. "Call me Cath"
  "No, I don't think I shall." He grasped her by the waist and lifted her, and she locked her ankles behind his back.  "I'm taking you to bed now, Mary Catherine."
  "Yeah" she whispered. "I'd like that."


I LOVED the characters. He's posh, he does indeed work in a bank and has the posh overbearing mother who wants him to marry one of those horsey type girls. His name is Nev, Neville Chamberlain to be exact and is a distant relative of that Neville Chamberlain the Prime Minister. But City wants more from life and although Cath isn't what he expected, she's who he wants. Cath has a troubled past and has the tattoos to prove it. Her tattoo's document the mistakes in her life and act as a warning to never go down that route again. She keeps City very much at arms length- no mobile number, no work details, no family information nothing. She tells him she doesn't want a relationship but is fighting against her true feelings. Cath wants City but won't admit it, but she increasingly finds herself in his bed each night.

Together they're dynamite but their family histories mean they can never really fit into each others lives. So, when everything does eventually come out via City's snotty older brother it's a huge shock to City and when he doesn't immediately jump in to defend her, for Cath it's the final nail in the coffin of their doomed relationship. Utterly devastated she walks away and at this point I had a huge lump in my throat but it gets even better. The ending (which I don't want to spoil for you- you need to read it!) resulted in major tears and snot for me. Tears and snot people. It was fantastically perfect. I bawled like a baby and I haven't been able to get Cath and City (see how I can't even call him Nev?) out of my brain. I. LOVED. IT. Best £1.37 kindle book out there. Good god it was hot and overflowing with major swoonage. If you're a fan of contemporary romance you MUST read About That Night.


after fifty
After Fifty rating: 5 out of 5
Smexy alpha male Thumbs up
Knows his way about the bedroom Thumbs up
Protective vibe Thumbs up
Artistic Thumbs up
Very posh Thumbs up

7 comments:

  1. Ooooooo this sounds good. Going to download the kindle sample to see if I'll like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sooooooo good Siobhan, I absolutely loved it.

      Delete
  2. I think i might need this, I need some smexy-time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of smexy-time Mel but not over done(which I hate)

      Delete
  3. I love a sexy alpha male. Protective vibe goes hand-in-hand with that, but the addition of posh sends me over the edge. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5 stars ? i really definetely must read this book !!
    thx u :D

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.