Wednesday, 18 July 2012

My book boyfriend: Pace from Double Play by Jill Shalvis


My book boyfriend is hosted by Missie @ The Unread Reader

I have a certain thing for Jill Shalvis's books right now I just can't get enough of them. My latest read Double Play has everything I love in a sports themed romance, a talented, gorgeous but stubborn alpha male who realises there's more to life than just sport when he (mostly reluctantly) falls in love with the right woman.

In Double Play baseball ace Pace Martin is tall, dark and "slightly attitude challenged" and journalist Holly Hutchins is determined to get his real story. As the team's star player Pace is determined this will be a winning season but he's hiding a shoulder injury, Holly is writing a series of articles on baseball and she's not one to hide the truth even if she's attracted to Pace. Holly kissing Pace before a game becomes the very superstitious team's and even Gage the coach's good luck charm but that's as far as Pace is "allowed" to go because they're convinced their luck will change but Pace and Holly are unable to ignore this thing between them...




Chemistry, Holly thought as Pace kissed her. Oh God, lots and lots of chemistry...
In apparent agreement of that, Pace let out a low, rough rumble deep in his chest and slid a hand into her hair, cupping her head, holding her to him. His other hand squeezed her waist, drawing her in even tighter before gliding up her back, slowly fisting in her shirt as his tongue touched hers. 








"Oh, gee, Pace," She stepped close enough to put her hands on his chest. Yeah, suddenly she was feeling a whole lot better. "I feel so put out, having to kiss a man who kisses like heaven on earth." She pushed him back to the shower wall then turned so that it was she who was trapped as she brushed her mouth over his jaw. "I really do..."

"Okay, that's it," Gage said after letting himself in. "That's great thanks." He wedged himself in between them. "That's all we have time for." And he unceremoniously pushed her out the door.

She turned back. "But-"
"We have another home game tomorrow," Gage said. "Same time, same place." And then he shut the door in her face. 





In the stands, Holly distracted herself with her camera, taking shots of the guys warming up and interacting on the field ... He was a hundred yards away and yet in her lens he was right there, eyes warming. He smiled and mouthed her name. And the, oh God, and then he mouthed three little words.

I love you.





Sports romances, gotta love 'em. Thanks to Bernardo Velasco for being Pace today. I very nearly posted this picture of Bernardo. Phew, thank goodness I didn't. *grins*


11 comments:

  1. I love baseball players especially ones that look like that last picture... ;) I haven't read any of Shalvis's books, but I plan to start soon. Great quotes and awesome pictures like always!

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews
    http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-book-boyfriend-45-zacharel.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love baseball players. I'm adding this to my TBR immediately. I love Bernardo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO! Seriously Lesley! You are a genius at this! How ever do you find these perfect pictures, including the ones you choose not to include. LOL

    I'm trying hard not to reach through my computer and swipe at Pace's well placed glove! And what exactly is going on in that shower scene. I'll have to investigate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that last picture! And that last line as well... Swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my.. these pictures are fabulous. I think I need to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hm... I'd go to a lot of baseball games if he was on deck...

    love the pic you got with the camera. So perfect for that quote! WIN

    psst... btw, Stephen is in the Vamp Diaries show...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man! he is really hot. I haven't heard about this book, but I love him!
    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oofty!!!!!! Mmmmmm.....that last image.....*drools*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow- that guy is just not right....I mean there is a thing as too good looking right....eyeballs melting.....

    lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh. This guy sounds amazing, and I love the pictures you included... and the ones you chose not to include! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh. My. Goodness! I seriously LOVE this guy! Those pictures are just wow and those quotes definitely have me fanning myself. Thank you so much for sharing – Have a great weekend! :)

    Here's mine:
    http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-book-boyfriend-18-max-langston.html

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.