Wednesday, 8 August 2012

My book boyfriend- Dante from The Dark Knight by Elizabeth Elliot


Hi everyone welcome to another My Book Boyfriend post co-hosted by yours truly whilst Missie @ The Unread Reader concentrates in her final semester of school.
Check out the lovely new meme button Missie very kindly had made for us all to use how cool is that?

On to my book boyfriend of the week- meet Dante from The Dark Knight

Dante Chiavari from Elizabeth Elliot's The Dark Knight is the King's Assasin and master of disguise his new mission is to whisk Avalene de Forshay away from her horrible aunt to ensure Faulke Segrave is not able to marry Avalene and use her connections to lead a civil war against the King. Disguised as a Knight Dante must convince Avalene he is the honourable Sir Percival sent by her father to save her.

I don't tend to read a lot of historical romances but The Dark Knight completely swept me away. As an assassin Dante is a dark lethal figure but he has to act as a chivalrous knight to convince Avalene to escape with him, the more time he spends with her, her goodness and faith in him starts to really change him and they both begin to fall in love. I always love stories where a dark character finds redemption through the love of a good woman so I was rooting for Dante whilst gnawing on my fingernails waiting for the truth about him to come out and desperately wanting to know what Avalene's reaction would be, would the King's assassin survive a young woman's rejection?

I picked a couple of Sir Percival/Dante quotes that made me swoon like a true medieval maiden.

"He reached out and stroked her cheek with one gloved finger, and then his thumb brushed across her lower lip as if he could somehow mark her with his touch. The caress was so tender and unexpected that she drew a startled breath.
"I can hold my own against any evil," he said softly. "Tis innocence and beauty that hold the power to ruin me."

"Her hand reached out seemingly of its own volition to rest against his chest. Warm stone was the first thought that went through her mind. He was so much bigger and harder than she, but there was a gentleness she sensed in him that made his strength intriguing rather than alarming. She suspected he was a man who had known little of gentleness in his own life, but every time he touched her he seemed to do so with great care, as if she were some sort of breakable treasure. Perhaps it was those small quirks that enticed her, that effortlessly drew her in."

"He could not imagine forcing her from his life in just a few short weeks. She was everything he wanted, and everything he would never have. He knew with certainty that defied logic that even if he lived to a very old age, he would never find another woman like her."

"His heart had been a cold stone for longer than he could remember. There had been no room in his life for tender emotions, yet somehow she had reached past his barriers, brought light into the darkest corners of his soul."

"Eventually he turned to look down at her and flashed a smile that made her heart skip a beat, and then he beckoned her toward him with a crook of his finger.
The gesture shouldn't have been anything momentous. He was simply signalling to her that the footing was safe. But that was the moment she cut the last ties to her old life, the ties to all of the old rules that kept her from moving forward. He was calling her to a new life with new rules. She was ready to join him."

You can check out my review of The Dark Knight here.
When thinking of pictures of chivalrous knights I wanted to picture a dark handsome swoon worthy fellow but instead I couldn't get this picture out my mind of Monty Python's Knights with the coconut shells adding the horses hoof sound affects.


My book boyfriend is a weekly meme created by Missie at The Unread Reader. To find out more check out Missie's introductory post here. To show off your fictional boyfriend link your MBB post below. Direct links only please.



14 comments:

  1. Oooh an assassin! Sign me up ;)
    But that quote! "I can hold my own against any evil," he said softly. "Tis innocence and beauty that hold the power to ruin me."
    Right. In. The. Feels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Right. In. The. Feels. I want to use that phrase now! *mental note to self*

      Delete
  2. I just started this today! I haven't gotten too far in it, but I'm super excited to get home and get going after this post. LOL at the Monty Python images. Those will definitely be in my head while reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you think of it Jennifer it really took me by surprise I want to check out the other books in the series at some point too.

      I'll be looking out for your review now!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I KNOW!!!! Amy I was swooning all over the place!!!!

      Delete
  4. This guy sounds sooo great! I love the quotes :D Yum <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always on the look out for yummy quotes!

      Delete
  5. Great quotes. This guy seems awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah he's very book boyfriend worthy although the guy on the cover keeps reminding me of Bill from True Blood!

      Delete
  6. Wow I don't usually read historical books either, but I really want to read this one now! Amazing quotes I can't wait to read about Dante.

    Gorgeous Cover!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to read more historical romance now as I'm clearly missing out on all the handsome young knights! I hope you like it Katie:)

      Delete
  7. I don't read many historical romances either, but I've always had a weakness for knights, especially dark ones. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Missie *waves* it's so fab seeing the new button everywhere already!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.