Monday, 17 September 2012

Review: Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson

1stFull Blooded
Amanda Carlson
Publication date: 11th September 2012
Reviewed by Lesley

Wow! Full Blooded definitely is an amazing start to what looks like a fantastic new urban fantasy series. Recommended for fans of Kelley Armstrong and Patricia Briggs when I saw the volume of 5 out of 5 reviews all over Goodreads I knew I had to reshuffle my TBR pile and read it fast.

Jessica McClain is the daughter of the powerful US werewolf Alpha. In this world only men are werewolves, Jessica's birth made her one of a kind and with a looming prophecy that a female would result in the end of the werewolf race she has had many critics her entire life. When at puberty she didn't shift Jessica was able to assume a new name and identity and carved a life for herself outwith the confines of the pack as a private investigator. When at 26 Jessica turns into a werewolf she becomes the only female werewolf in history and thus secures a HUGE target on her head not just from some of her own kind but from other supernatural beings.

I loved Jess's character straight off, she's gutsy, brave and determined but also vulnerable trying to find her her feet (or paws I suppose) with her new werewolf status. I liked her internal debates with her inner female wolf and her new very unique werewolf powers and found myself reading faster and faster as the action and tension mounted. I wanted even more about her Alpha father and her brother Ty and I loved the scene with her pack mate and Alpha's second James. It was goooooood.

Without being too spoilery Jess has another love interest. For me, it went quickly from potential enemy to protector to mate- I'm not saying I didn't like it as he is very intriguing, but coupled with all the action it seemed to progress really fast.

Overall, I loved the story it was action packed and pacey and it left me with the feeling that it's just the beginning of an amazing wider story. The minute I finished I was straight on Goodreads trying to find out when the next book will be released that's how good it was! Full Blooded reminded me a little of Rachel Vincent's Shifter Series, which as one of my all time favourites is a good thing, with side characters so deliciously good that I would be blissfully happy reading their own books. I really hope Amanda Carlson can write fast! 

lesleyratingwnum5




AMANDA CARLSON:
Website  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Goodreads

BUY THE BOOK:
Amazon UK  |  Amazon US 

6 comments:

  1. I hope Amanda can write fast as well!! Especially with that ending... this is definitely an UF series to get excited about...soo glad you loved it too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel I'm glad I reshuffled my TBR now! Like you I had really good vibes about this when I finished. I love finding a good new Urban Fantasy series to get enthralled in.

      Delete
  2. It's not the first time I read awesome review on this book, Lesley! So desperate to read it and have to wait until December before I even attempt to buy it or get it from the library *headdesk*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to reading this book after reading this review. I will also.be checking out other works by this author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to reading this book after reading this review. I will also.be checking out other works by this author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you so sold me with the Patricia Briggs/Kelley Armstrong mention. I LOVE Briggs. She's one of my favorite UF writers and it's so hard to find anything that's quite as good. Jessica sounds like a great heroine. Can't wait to read about her :)

    ~Anna

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.