Wednesday, 17 October 2012

My book boyfriend: Michael Conte from The Marriage Trap by Jennifer Probst


Welcome to another week of My book boyfriend co-hosted by little old me whilst Missie @ The Unread Reader is studying for her final semester of school. 
 
 
I loved Jennifer Probst's first installment in her Marriage to a Billionaire series The Marriage Bargain and even had Nick as a book boyfriend (click here to see some major swoonage) so I feel like I've had The Marriage Trap on my wish list for what seems like forever. When it finally arrived I ditched my current read and devoured The Marriage Trap instead.

Italian billionaire Michael Conte is the head of his very traditional family, on his father's death bed he promised to look after his sisters and follow the old family tradition that the oldest son must marry first. To allow his sister to finally marry her fiancee Michael has to find a pretend bride fast and introduce her to his family in Italy. When he realises his best friend Nick's sister Maggie is due be in Milan he convinces her to play the part of his fake bride. However, when they get to Italy Michael starts to realise that independant and fiesty Maggie really is everything he has every wanted in woman.

"I have a proposition for you."
She threw her head back and laughed. The smoky sound beckoned like a witch casting a spell. "Well, then, you've come to the right girl." She licked her lips with deliberate precision. The faint sheen of wetness gleamed in the light. "Proposition away."
He smothered a curse and decided to go for the blunt approach. "I need a pretend wife."
She blinked. "Huh?"

"Why are you still here?"
Because I want something."
"What?"
"You, cara.

"He was falling in love with her.
At the same time, she scared the crap out of him. Maggie wasn't the woman he'd imagined spending his life with. She twisted everything inside of him until he vibrated at a high pitch, and she made the long line of women he'd taken to bed fade away into nothingness. She was prickly, hardheaded, honest to a fault, and hid a soft centre that melted his heart.... Maggie had the heart and soul of a wounded warrior, and it was time he fought for her."

I love those kind of romances where the hero and heroine are as frustrating as each other! Michael definitely has the family's pressures firmly on his shoulders he had to give up his own dreams to take care of his sisters and although they are adults themselves he still behaves more like a tyrant father rather than a supportive brother. It takes honest to a fault Maggie's influence for him to finally see that he has to let his sisters make their own decisions and along the way he also finally realises that the perfect woman for him is pretty much right in front of his eyes.

My book boyfriend is a weekly meme created by Missie at The Unread Reader. To find out more check out Missie's introductory post here. To show off your fictional boyfriend link your MBB post below. Direct links only please.



5 comments:

  1. I've just discovered Jennifer Probst's books!! I have to dig in immediately apparently. Looks fantastic! Great pick for book boyfriend, made me wanna read the books even more!
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE book boyfriends and am so honored you chose Michael! Yay! Thanks for the awesome and very thorough review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Michael from the first book, so I can't wait to read this book. I have it for review soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that second quote! Gonna have to add this to my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this yet, but it sounds wonderful! I love the last quote and I'm with you on loving this type of romance. Great choice this week!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.