Saturday, 24 November 2012

What I've been reading this week




I didn't receive or buy any new books this week and I actually *shock horror* read some books from my enormous TBR pile. For the first time in what seems like forever I chose to read a book I'd bought ages ago Angel's Flight by Nalini Singh which I'm ashamed to say has been sitting on my bookshelf since February. This got me thinking. Nalini Singh is one of my favourite authors ever, she's on my author auto buy list and I've loved every book she's ever written and yet I have 2 of her books sitting unread on my shelf. WTF??? In fact, I have a whole shelf of books by my favourite authors that I've bought this year and not read yet. Why? I'm always reading review books. Don't get me wrong I've read a tonne of AMAZING review books this year but I've also read my fair share of meh books too and it's preventing me from reading the books that I really love, that I've paid my own hard cash for.

Just some of the books on one of my TBR shelves


I think coupled with the fact I have 10 reviews to write for review books (eeeek overwhelming!!), has led me to ponder my review policy and overall future of My keeper shelf. I love blogging but it's hard work and I have recently thought about chucking it all in. So, as a compromise/treat to myself once I've caught up with my reviews I'm going to kick back and read my own books for a while so expect more paranormal romance, urban fantasy and YA book reviews. Oh, and I've decided to take an extended break over Christmas and New Year. (I know it's only November but I like writing lists and planning ahead!).

Rant over. Here's what I've read this week and yes I've been reading Christmas books, but in my defence they're steamy Christmas books so that makes them ok.




5 comments:

  1. You know I was thinking exactly the same thing about review books recently...as great as they are they do seems to stop me reading some of my favourite authors! I think my new years resolution will be to catch up on my favourite series and authors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I totally agree Mel, I think that will be my new years resolution too.

      Delete
  2. Oh operation Cinderella and under the mistletoe looks really good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you dare chucking it all in, Lesley! :))) We need you! Do a ban like I did for a few months and that will allow you to go through your TBR, then you can start accepting books for review but limit yourself to how many each month and you'll find a balance I'm sure. You've been working hard this year and deserve a break. I say, enjoy your own books, darling, and don't stress out! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just clutched my heart and gasped in horror...Don't you dare chuck it in you are an amazing blogger !!! And I for one have purchased so many books based on your suggestions and have loved them all. You work so hard and do such an incredible job that a world without 'My Keeper Shelf' Incomprehensible! I do understand though that you have to alter the workload and ensure that it stays enjoyable, after all that’s what it’s all about – the love of books, so yes, absolutely it’s a great idea to compromise and distress a bit. Thanks for the honestly Lesley, it’s always helpful to get a snippet behind the scenes and appreciate the amount of work that goes into creating this awesome blog. A blog I am sure others will agree is SO worthwhile - hence your demand. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.