Sunday, 16 December 2012

Review: The Boys of Summer by C.J. Duggan

13562232The Boys of Summer
Summer Series #1
C.J. Duggan
Publication date: 17th December 2012

I stayed up until 2:37am to finish The Boys of Summer to say I was gripped would be a massive understatement. I swooned, I cried, I laughed and then I swooned a little bit more. At 70% I had to physically put it down to wipe away a little tear after shouting a gigantic "Noooooo!!" at my poor kindle. I loved it, and then I loved it some more.

A real coming of age story, Tess has lived in the shadow of her gorgeous boy crazy BFF Ellie and cool but thoroughly likeable Adam. Tess is hoping that a lazy and fun filled summer will let her forget about the cruel torments from moron ex-boyfriend Scott. Instead, Adam talks Tess and Ellie into working at Onslow hotel where they will be at the mercy of posh tourists and excessive dish washing before he breaks his arm and finds himself packed off to his Nan's house. To Tess the summer looks utterly bleak until the Onslow boys arrive at the hotel's pool room. Tess has crushed on Toby Morrison since forever, but he has a perky blonde girlfriend and Tess has always happily blended into the scenery. But with Onslow Boys Tobey, Stan, Sean and Ringer around Tess's life as a wall flower will change forever and she will never forget this summer. Filled with humour, flirtyness and some seriously heart breakingly good romantic moments The Boys of Summer absolutely blew me away, it's a must read.

My initial thoughts after finishing The Boys of Summer were something along the lines of "I wonder how much exactly an airfare to Australia is?" because I want to live in a town like Onslow (even though I know in my head it's a made up Aussie town). I also want Tess's sense of humour and her ability to deliver the best one liners ever "Remember, boys, hands off your nuts." made me honestly, snort with laughter. Her ability to initially blurt out unintentionally suggestive comments around the Onslow boys which resulted in her cringing even more inside made me love her even more. I also want a best pal like Adam who's adorable and totally on Tess's side, his emails back and forth to Tess had me laughing out loud. I really did want to kick Tess's ex-boyfriend the truly cruel and spineless Scott right up the backside. But most of all, I want an Onslow boy of my own. I really, really wanted to steal head Onslow boy Toby E Morrison because he is undoubtedly the most swoon worthy character I've read in ages. New book boyfriend? why yes, I think so.

Self published by C.J. herself, The Boys of Summer is polished, beautifully written and full of heart. I've loved C.J.'s style of writing since I discovered her on the interwebz, her blog posts are always full of win ranging from her journey as a writer to hilarious posts about her guilty pleasures such as the love of pretty cushions for decorative effect to the crane move in Karate Kid. C.J. has transferred her witty conversational style and ability to tell the most amazing story into her debut novel The Boys of Summer. As a reader I could absolutely picture Onslow in my head, those lazy summer bike rides, swimming at the lake and the towns fireworks display and I thought the supporting characters she created (not just the Onslow boys although I did love them the most!) really added to the story. I have to say though I'm really hoping C.J. writes Sean's story I loved him to bits!

The Boys of Summer is now up there as one of my favourite Aussie YA books alongside Melina Marchetta's Saving Francesca and Cath Crowley's Graffiti Moon and it absolutely deserves to be there. If I could give it a squillion stars I would. It's a must read.

lesleyratingwnum5

C.J. DUGGAN ONLINE:
Website  |  Blog Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Goodreads

BUY THE BOOK:
Amazon.com  |  Amazon UK  |  Smashwords 

12 comments:

  1. Love the sounds of this one and it isn't even in a genre that I would normally read. Great review!-Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it Miss Kimberly, it's always good to read out of genre *winks*

      Delete
  2. Great review! I've never heard of this book but I love the sound of the story. It's definitely something I would like to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! The story is AMAZING and the characters are so likeable. I'm now dying for the next book:)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great contemp ! Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this on my TBR. I can't wait to get to it at some point. Nice review. Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn we have quite similar taste so I KNOW you will love it:)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Siobhan, wasn't Toby ever so dreamy!!!!

      Delete
  6. You have me so excited for this! Can't wait for it to be up on Barnes and Noble. Great review!

    Your Christmas blog header is adorable, by the way. :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm sure you'll love it as much as I did Sara. Be sure to come back and tell me what you think!

      Delete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.