Friday, 8 March 2013

Review: Mr Real by Carolyn Crane

Mr realMr Real
Code of Shadows #1
Carolyn Crane
Publication date: 30th October 2012
Reviewed by Lesley

I found myself very much in two minds about Carolyn Crane's Mr Real. It was a little bit odd but actually quite compelling and although I can't say I loved it to bits I can say I haven't read anything this quirky for ages.

Alix Gordon's elderly Aunt left her and old house that Alix decides to turn into a hotel. Her deceased Aunt was known locally to be a witch who just happened to also be a bit of a computer genius to boot and has left Alix a very magical computer and software.

When Alix clicks and saves the image of a very expensive necklace she finds said necklace on her doorstep the very next day. No note nothing. Bizarre? Yep, but can you honestly not say you haven't wished for something similar to happen to you? In the name of true scientific research Alix saves the image of some seriously funky majorette boots (it would be my next choice too) and waits to see if they turn up. As if my magic, one minute nothing, and the next minute funky majorette boots. Wowser! In a true Weird Science moment Alix saves the image of Sir Kendall the Denali man, international man of mystery and spy in a television advert. Why? Because he looks just like "Hardass Paul" the martial arts teacher who kicked Alix out of his class despite the fact they both secretly have a bit of a crush on each other.

When Sir Kendall arrives it gets complicated, he's a person in a strange world and thin ks Alix is the spy that he must romance and then eliminate. Alix feels responsible for creating him and wants to help him after she's had her wicked way with him of course. To make matters worse Hardass Paul turns up to save Alix because he has a strange connection to Sir Kendall and needs him eliminated.

Mr Real has tonnes of quirky stuff going on. Although the pace did kind of drop off in the middle for a bit I knew I had to keep on reading as I really had no idea how on earth it was all going to end.

If you're a fan of quirky and imaginative paranormal romance then give Mr Real a whirl, it's well worth a read.
Add to Goodreads badge

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.