Monday, 15 April 2013

Review: Own the Wind by Kristen Ashley

own the windOwn the Wind
Chaos #1
Kristen Ashley
Publication date: 2nd April 2013
Reviewed by Lesley

There's two things I love about Kristen Ashley's books. Firstly, her stories seems to span years of the heroine and hero's lives with all the ups and downs, break ups and make ups. I always feel that I got their full story, I never feel short changed with horrible and annoying abrupt endings that leave me with that "I wonder if they lived happily ever after?" feeling. Her epilogues rock and I love that sometimes even her epilogues have epilogues. Secondly, Kristen Ashley writes the most delicious alpha male hero's EVER. It's impossible not to fall in love with her male characters. Since I'm currently going through a "I love biker bad boys" reading phase I'm very, very appreciative of her badass alpha male bikers. First Tack *swoons* in Motorcycle Man and now Parker "Shy" Cage in the spin off series Own the Wind.

My only trepidation going into this book was that it wouldn't live up to Tack and Tyra's book, maybe that Shy and Tabby (who just happens to be Tack's daughter) would be a tad young, but I'm glad to say that Own the Wind had everything I love about Kristen Ashley's books: biker bad boys, biker chics, steamy hot scenes, dirty talking and a few tearful moments along the way.

Tabby at nineteen is a party girl with Shy having to come to her rescue more than once, but this time he's cruel and crushes her spirit in an attempt to ensure she doesn't mess up her life. They part on bad terms for a long time and Tabby finally settles down in her nursing career and finds a nice guy who's not a biker but he's a good guy and she loves him. Shy however, continues with his biker bad boy lifestyle. When tragedy strikes and Tabby's good guy is killed it's Shy who comes back into Tabby's life as her shoulder to cry on and slowly helps her pick up the pieces of her life.

I just knew this was only the start of their long and winding love story, but true to form the path of true love definitely doesn't run smoothly for Shy and Tabby. She needs time and a friend before she's ready to see Shy as the hot biker boy who's been waiting on her for years. Their progression from friends to lovers was excruciatingly good, it's steamy, smutty and absolutely full of heart.

All the while Shy and Tabby keep their relationship quiet but know they will need to face both Tack and the rest of the biker bad boys at some point. For me, this part of the story was the most heartfelt and made me fall for Shy even more. Knowing that the club is everything to Shy, it's literally been his family and support system and he really loves the whole lifestyle but Tabby means more to him and the fact that he was willing to walk away from it all for her just melted my heart.

I loved this book. Kristen Ashley is a freaking genius, her bad boys are bad and her bad girls are snarky, fun, sexy and well able to deal with their bad boys. 4.5 out of 5.

Favourite quote:
"You need a safe place to just forget shit and escape. I'll give it to you. Tonight. Tomorrow. Next week. Next month. That safe place is me, Tabby."    
 
goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47

2 comments:

  1. I was a little worried thinking that maybe Shy and Tab would be too young for me to become invested in them. That was so not the story. Great book. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like all her first books of a new series...I feel I have to warm up to it. But then once I am there, she knocks it out of the park. Can't wait for the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.