Monday, 27 May 2013

Review: By a Thread by Jennifer Estep

by a threadBy a Thread
Elemental Assassin #6
Jennifer Estep
Publication date:
Reviewed by Lesley

I'm playing catch up with Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series, after finally defeating Mab Monroe in Spider's Revenge I took a little break from Gin Blanco's world and although I was now keen to get back to the series I wasn't exactly sure what was in store for Gin. If I'm honest I wasn't exactly sure if the series would be half as exciting without Mab in it she was such a fantastic baddie.

By a Thread was actually way better than I'd expected. It had action, heartbreak and an evil Vamp villain who really had Gin on the run. Hands down though, my favourite part of By a Thread was Gin finally getting to confront Donovan her ex-boyfriend from the start of the series. Donovan never really accepted Gin and her occupation and was so judgemental I almost suspected his full name was in fact Donovan Judgemental Cain. As I'm firmly on Gin's side he annoyed me no end, but Gin never really had closure on their relationship so it was incredibly satisfying to see Gin rise above him and show him what he had been missing.

I also really enjoyed seeing the changing dynamic of Gin and her younger sister Bria's relationship. Although reunited their relationship has never really felt very natural, and for me, Bria gave off some very Donovan-esque disapproving vibes, as a cop she firmly believes in upholding the law and isn't too keen on Gin's "occupation". However, when Gin is called upon to help Bria's best friend Callie and her beloved restaurant Sea Breeze, Bria finally sees that sometimes Gin's brand of justice is the only option when up against some series bad guys. I loved the little twist with Callie- she's almost the respectable version of Gin, she owns a restaurant, enjoys cooking oh and has Donovan Judgemental Cain as her fiancee!

Overall, By a Thread was a fantastic instalment in the long running series. I love that six books into a series the plot still feels fresh and exciting to me, I genuinely thought that Gin was a goner this time! As a fan of Gin and the series I'm glad that Bria finally has a better understanding of why Gin does what she often has to do, that for Gin it's not all about money sometimes it is about justice. Although I think their relationship will never be perfect I think that Gin is finally getting the respect she deserves and that I have to say that left me with a giant smile on my face.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.