Monday, 13 May 2013

Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass
Throne of Glass #1
Sarah J. Maas
Publication date: 2nd August 2012
Reviewed by Rebecca

I really struggled with this book and debated whether to give it a 3 or 4 star review. I hit a reading slump not long after I started it and took quite a while to get out of it. Whether it was the books fault, I do not know but I pride myself on honest reviews and have to admit that the book did start off quite slowly.
 
The main gist of the story is that Celaena Sardothien has been serving a year of hard labour in the salt mines of Endovier for her many and varied crimes - Celaena, before she was captured, was an assassin - and a very good one at that. One day, she is unexpectedly called for an audience with the Crown Prince Dorian who informs her that she must compete in a competition for the new royal assassin - and in return, he will grant her the freedom she truly desires. Of course, she is not the only champion entering this competition and her identity is kept secret from the many men she faces. They think very little of Sardothien, believing her to just be a female jewel thief - no match for them. But if her true identity was to be revealed, the men would be left quaking in their boots!

Although the book started off slowly, once I came out of my slump and back reading again, I actually sped through this novel. The parts where Sardothien, Dorian and Captain Westfall are travelling to the royal palaces are quite boring but as soon as she arrives, the action really heats up. Just the fact that no one except the Prince, the Captain and her maid know who she truly is keeps the suspense built up and when a second storyline is introduced alongside the competition; where competitors are getting murdered one by one; it really helps the story in reaching its conclusion.
 
I am intrigued to see just what will happen in the second novel and in what direction the kind of 'love triangle' goes - there are a few stolen kisses and a lot of secret thoughts throughout the novel but I can't wait to see who Celaena chooses overall.

I cannot give this 5 stars as I do believe that the beginning of the novel should pick up pace a little more - however, when the story gets going, boy do you want to keep on reading! 4 out of 5.


1 comment:

  1. I wonder if I would have enjoyed this book more if I had bit the bullet and picked up the novellas; I just don't think they should be necessary and it seems like they almost were.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.