Monday, 30 December 2013

My favourite Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy books of 2013

 

Goodreads tells me I've read 200 books in 2013 which is about average for me but makes it very difficult to narrow down my favourites of the year so I figured I would cheat a bit and split them into categories starting with my all time favourite Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy. So here's what floated my boat in 2013.
 
Night Blade by J.C. Daniels (aka Shiloh Walker) broke my heart and blew me away. Kit is in a race against time to investigate and clear her alpha cat boyfriend Damon's name and can't discuss her investigation with anyone, let alone Damon who is getting increasingly suspicious. The final 30% of the book honestly destroyed me I couldn't sleep for thinking about it. For Urban Fantasy fans this series is a MUST READ.
 
 
 
 
 
    
Magic Rises By Ilona Andrews book six in the amazing Kate Daniels series became my favourite book of the series (and that's saying something because they are all fantastic). Full on action with epic battles and we see a more vulnerable side to Kate as my favourite Beast Lord Curran is a complete arse to her (I forgave him eventually). I kind of also secretly liked bad guy warlord Hugh D'Ambray and Kate's inevitable battle with her father Roland seems that little bit closer now. Another 5 out of 5 book for me.
 
 
 
 
 
I almost had to remind myself to breathe during the final epic battle in Nalini's Singh's Archangel's Legion the sixth book in the Guild Hunter series. The Archangel of New York Raphael, his consort Elena and his Seven looked completely outnumbered in their battle to protect the tower. It was beyond tense! Again, this is a series that just keeps on getting better and better.
 






I always seem to be playing catch up with Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series and By a Thread convinced me that I really do need to read faster. Gin finally gets to confront her ex boyfriend Mr Judgemental Donovan Caine and puts him right in his place. As a massive Gin fan It felt VERY satisfying.
 








Lauren Dane's Bound by Magick series is another one of my all time favourites so I was beyond happy to get my paws on a copy of Going Under before it was published. Not only did I love Molly and Gage's very schmexy romance, the tension between the Others and the humans had me shivering with anticipation. Another 5 out of 5 book for me.
 






Heart of Obsidian by Nalini Singh was probably my most anticipated book of 2013 and it more than lived up to the hype. I'm a long term follower of Nalini's Psy/Changeling series but bizarrely rarely review them because I just couldn't possibly do them justice. Heart of Obsidian was for me the best book of the series because everything has been building up to the big reveal of the Ghost and it was certainly well worth the wait.








Temping Is Hell by Cathy Yardley
 was one of my first reads of 2013 and has remained on my favourites list. Quirky and hilariously funny I was absolutely glued to the pages. I've been checking and re-checking ever since I finished it for details of the next instalment because I thought it had so much potential to be a brilliant series but there's no word as yet, I've got my fingers crossed for more from Cathy in 2014.
 
Review  |  Goodreads  
Much love also for...
 

3 comments:

  1. Some awesome books there Lesley and most of them are on my TBR list, I've been putting off starting the Colbana Files & Magic Rises cos I'm an angst wimp and I felt sick at the thought of Curran's antics, I'm still to worried about reading it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel you need to read the Colbana Files it is AMAZING and I know you will love it and honestly Magic Rises was worth the angst it was outstanding!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, some great reads here!! I loved the new Ilona Andrews as well (though I was devastated about Aunt B :(). I'm playing catch-up with the Estep/Gin series as well ;)
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.